Friday, February 1, 2008

Salad Table, Day 31: Growing Challenge

Well, the first of the transplants for the salad table are doing very, very well. I think it's looking quite likely that I will be able to harvest a small Valentine's Day salad for my sweetie and me.

I changed the setup I had planned (again) by recycling some foam peanuts into a draining medium and water reservoir for the grow bags I actually planted the salad greens in. I was trying to keep it on the cheap by using stuff I already had on hand, especially stuff that might otherwise need to be thrown out. So I snugged each growbag bottom into an about four inch layer of peanuts, making sure that some of the drainage holes on the side were kept free and clear and above the intended water line.

Here is a picture of one of the lettuces, close up! I can't wait to have our first home grown salad of the year!

No comments: