Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy Local Valentine's Day - Dark Days/Growing Challenge

It was a typical busy mid-week evening here, so I didn't have time to do a whole recipe blog entry, but here's what we had for Valentine's Day.

Clockwise from high noon: Salad (yes, from the salad table!!!!!!) with marinaded mozzarella balls (homemade from local milk) and sundried tomatoes from last year's garden, rosemary olive oil bread from local wheat (No Knead recipe, homemade), local trout fillet with a creamy tarragon sauce (dried tarragon from our garden, cream from local dairy, shallots from last year) and local wild rice pilaf. And since my first bottled wines still need at least another couple of months of aging before they can be drunk, we enjoyed a bottle of a light sweet red from an Idaho winery.

The salad table looks pretty pitiful after being shorn, but I'm hoping it will perk back up quickly and we will have enough for another salad soon. Unfortunately, I found aphids while I was harvesting. It's one of the banes of indoor gardening in the winter - especially when you have a room filled with plants that go in and out with the season. But I'm using some organic sprays and hopefully not having so much to eat for a while will cut way back on their numbers as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Y-U-M!!!! Congratulations! What an awesome Valentines' Day meal.

Bummer about the aphids. Sometimes they will go away by spraying them with soapy water every two or three days for a week or two.

Unknown said...

I have a good aphid "fix" for you that's food safe. Works on soft scale, whiteflies and spider mites too.

1 tbsp liquid dish detergent (esp. lemon scented)
1 cup corn, peanut, safflower, soybean, or sunflower oil
Mix and add 1-2 1/2 teaspoons to 1 cup of water. Pour into a pump bottle and shake before you spray.

Spray to undersides and topsides of infested leaves.

Hope that helps.

Idaho Locavore said...

Hi Melinda, welcome back! I can't wait to hear about your adventures. Yeah, aphids are a bummer, but we usually get some every late winter so I was kind of expecting it. I clean and treat all my trees before I bring them in for the winter, but I never seem to be able to get everything.

Hiya, Wombat! Oooh, thanks! I'll mix up some of that tonight and give everything a good soak! I was using a commercial soap spray left over from last year, but I didn't have much left, so your timing is perfect. :-)